Do you need an appointment with your GP?
Try Self- Care
So, what is self-care?
Self-care is the practice of people taking action to preserve or improve their own health.
Why should I self-care?
There are lots of benefits to self-care, these include;
- It is quicker – there is no need to wait for an appointment here at your GP, you can get advice on minor illnesses online or from your local pharmacy.
- It is easier – you can ask at the pharmacy for the best treatment for you, which can then be bought at your local pharmacy or supermarket to use at home.
- It is simple – you can get advice on self-care from a variety of sources, either from websites (some useful links are listed below) or from your pharmacy.
- It is considerate – using self-care relieves pressure faced by NHS services e.g. GP Practices and A&E. Treating minor illnesses allows our GP’s to see patients with more serious medical needs.
Did you know your pharmacy can give you advice on these conditions?
- Sore Throat
- Cold sores
- Dry eyes
- Nappy Rash
- Dental Pain
- Dry skin
- Head Lice
- Insect Bites
Pharmacists are trained professionals and are often the best people to see in these instances, most pharmacies will have a private consultation room where they can offer you confidential advice.
Places to go for advice on self-care;
There is a lot on information to support self-care and help you to manage minor illnesses. Below is a list of the top suggestions from NHS Stay Well Derbyshire;
- NHS Choices – this website contains a health A-Z, giving you a guide to conditions, treatments and symptoms. This will advise you on what to do and when/ where you should get help if needed.
- NHS Stay Well Derbyshire – this service supports the people of Derbyshire to become self-care aware. The website has a lot of self-care leaflets for specific minor illnesses e.g. Acne, strains and sprains, colds and much more!
- Livewell Derby – Livewell offer support and advice on their website on how to lead a healthier lifestyle, they have free 12 month programmes designed to give you individual and group support in addition to fun exercise groups.
- One You – this website is there to support you to become fitter and healthier by offering free tips, tools and support on a range of things such as eating healthy or checking yourself.
- Live Life Better Derbyshire – offering you advice on how to lead a healthier lifestyle with information on losing weight, stopping smoking, being active and much more!
- HANDi App – this is a free app that can offer advice to parents and carers when looking after children with common childhood illnesses.